Well, teetering beween a liking for lists and a po-faced disinclination to be frivolous I am leaning to lists. In response to the FreeRangeLibrarian … here is a tentative enumeration of things in fours.
4 novels for re-reading
- Persuasion – Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion are the favourite novels of real JA fans, he claimed 😉
- The Volunteers – Raymond Williams
- The Leopard – Giuseppe di Lampedusa
- The heather blazing – Colm Toibin
4 films for re-viewing
- The Sunshine State
- Gumshoe (Marvellous Billie Whitelaw and Albert Finney in a film with the tagline “the sleuth, the whole sleuth and nothing but the sleuth”)
- I went down
- Atlantic City (David Thomson on Burt Lancaster: “He is one of the great stars. Maybe the last.”)
- In the garden – Van Morrison
- Bonny light horseman – Dolores Keane and John Faulkner
- Since Maggy went away – John Kavanagh/Paul Brady
- The Lakes of Pontchartrain – Paul Brady (I was listening to this again after Hurricane Katrina)
- One – Cowboy Junkies (U2)
- Tupelo Honey – Cassandra Wilson (Van Morrison)
Cypress AvenueMadam George – Energy Orchard (Van Morrison)
- I’m so lonesome I could cry – Cowboy Junkies (Hank Williams)
4 books that have changed the way I look at work
- The rise of the network society – Manuel Castells (a loose baggy monster)
- The consequences of modernity – Anthony Giddens
- A New History of the English Public Library: Social and Intellectual Contexts 1850-1914 – Alistair Black
- Community, collaboration, and collections: the writings of Ross Atkinson. (I have only just got this but have found Atkinson the most consistently interesting writer about libraries over the last few years.)
4 places I have lived
- Grew up in Templeogue, Dublin, Ireland
- Lived for many years in Southville in Bristol, England, where our children were born
- Lived for a while in Camberwell in wonderful South East London
- Now live in Clintonville, Columbus, USA
4 places to eat (with children)
- Pizza Express – a reliable UK chain (when we were moving to London we knew that we could not afford to live anywhere with Pizza Express or Starbucks 😉
- The Starliner Diner, Hilliard, Ohio
- La Cafe Provencale, Herne Hill, London
- The Avoca Woollen Mills, Avoca, Ireland
4 jobs I have had
- Eight months as a factory worker in Kontinental Gummiwerke, Korbach, Germany. Interesting experience as a ‘gastarbeiter’.
- Neary four years as a library assistant in (what is now) Dublin City Public Libraries. Stumbled into libraries in my mid twenties and stayed.
- Moved to England to work as Research Officer, Centre for Bibliographic Management, University of Bath.
- Director, DNER, JISC, London.
4 television programs
- The Rockford Files (Reviewing the volume of James Garner’s television output, David Thomson says: “That is the equivalent of well over one hundred movies – and if any actor could claim one hundred movies made with the wit, narrative speed, and good-natured ease of Maverick and Rockford Files he would be … Cary Grant?”)
- As time goes by
- Tutti Frutti
- Later – with Jools Holland
4 websites visited daily
- The Guardian
- The BBC
Sign in or become a LorcanDempsey.net member to comment. See Membership page for more detail.